Raw Buckwheat Berry Porridge
This amazing buckwheat and berry porridge is one of my go-to breakfasts! I make it at least once a week because it's SO delicious and always leaves me feeling amazing after. If you haven't tried raw buckwheat before, this may sound a little weird, but trust me, it's AMAZING!
I love adding superfoods and toppings to really take this bowl to the next level, but you can really add whatever works for you or what you have on hand. The texture is smooth but thick enough to still feel satisfying and keep you full all morning long. I love making it ahead of time so I have a breakfast ready for me in the morning. If I know I will be working out before, I usually add some protein or collagen to bulk up this porridge.
Buckwheat, is such a superfood and despite its name, buckwheat doesn’t contain any wheat or gluten. In fact, buckwheat is a nutrient-packed seed which is known for:
- Improving heart health by lowering cholesterol and blood pressure
- High fiber content which improves digestion and keeps things moving
- Great source of energy-boosting B vitamins, plus minerals including manganese, magnesium, zinc, iron and folate
Now, on to the recipe! Make sure to try this out and tag @nakdhealth on Instagram if you give it a try - I'd love to see how you top your bowl :)
Raw Buckwheat Berry Porridge Recipe (1 serving)
- 1/3 of a cup of buckwheat soaked in 1 cup of water for at least an hour or overnight
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup if it's not sweet enough for you
To serve, I love adding hemp seeds, granola, nuts, flax seeds, nut butter, coconut shreds, and fresh fruit.
- Place the buckwheat in a bowl of water and leave overnight or for a few hours to soak. You can't miss this step!
- When you're ready to make the porridge, drain the water from the buckwheat and rinse it well.
- Place your buckwheat into a blender along with the banana, berries, and almond milk. Add your sweetener if you're using it.
- Blend the mix for a minute or so until it’s creamy but not totally smooth.
- Pour it into a bowl and add your toppings.